Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Twitterated

After poking about in the Twitter universe a few times, I've come to the conclusion that it has no place in my space, or perhaps the reverse is more accurate, I have no place in its space. Is it that I'm too boring for Twitter? Mayhaps Twitter is too sophisticated for me, or we're just not that into each other.

Whatever the reason, I just don't feel the love. I tried to embrace embrace the quick twit, the clever twit, the absurd twit and just felt let down, unfulfilled. I've tweeted the mundane, the snarky and the self gratifying with no sense of excitement. This social experiment is, I believe, meant for those who are not wall flowers, but for those who bask in crowded rooms full of noise. My skill with small talk is notoriously mediocre and, from my perspective, Twitter is all about small talk. Literally, if one considers the 140 character limit.

There are myriad examples of how the Twitter experience is an excellent business tool, how large scale marketing can be accomplished and how news and events can be tweeted and twittered. The social gathering power is endless and I see how affective it can be as a multi-purpose tool. No denials here of the possibilities Twitter offers those that know how to harness it, utilize it and exploit it. I have not been able to do any of these things well and Twitter thrives on a fully engaged partner, not a partial commitment.

So I wish Twitter well and predict it will not miss me in the slightest. I leave, with little regret, the pressure of wondering what should be tweeted behind, liberate myself from the ponderous effort of crafting witty in 140 characters or less (if I can even pull witty together on any given day) to keep the relationship balanced, and exit the stage for those that have embraced the Twit and found love in 140 characters.

1 comment:

Goddess Cole said...

Tweet, Twit, Twat....I've never been one for short responses, and/or comments...LONG LIVE THE LONG WINDED RESPONSE!....